Act 2 - Chapter 4.5 A day in the life, Sierrona edition ( 08/05/2021)


Dear diary,

Had the strangest day at work today; I was working the dice tables (my least favourite, I much prefer dealing cards) all day and it was really slow all day.  Right before the end of my shift this guy comes in, kinda odd looking. He was human, looked like he was getting on in years, walked with a cane but it was as if the cane was just a prop, he had such a spring in his step and his hands moved quicker than mine at times. There was something odd about him, but I just couldn't put my finger on it, anyway luck was on his side! He cleaned house! Now, I'm not saying this guy was cheating but I swear he rolled snake eyes at one point but when I blinked there were sixes on his dice!

Bessie keeps telling me I need to get more sleep and stop working these double shifts, maybe she's right, maybe I'm getting too tired to pay enough attention. Anyway I tried to keep this guy at the table for as long as possible to win back some money for the house but he was gone so fast, he can't have even spent an hour at the tables before he left - and that's when it got really weird. I swear on the love of Aurora, this guy went outside and gave his winnings to this shaggy dog on the street! A dog, an actual dog and then they just disappeared around the corner, this guy talking away to a stray mongrel like it was is friend. I think Bessie's right, I need to get more rest. I can smell the stew she's cooked for supper tonight already, I think I'm going to call it a night and get some sleep.



Dear diary,

I hate going from working a late shift to an early shift, it really messes up my sleep patterns. Still at least it's quieter in the mornings at work, most people like to have breakfast before they start losing money! I was on the cards today and had another strange encounter; I was looking out for that same guy that came in yesterday, he's not a regular and he was just too lucky so I'm going to give the boss a nod if I see him again. 

I guess I was too busy thinking about him to really concentrate on the dwarven woman that came to my table today, she was kind of odd - really tall for a dwarf but you know, I don't like to judge people that are a bit different, we all come in different shapes and sizes. I didn't really notice at first but her short stubby fingers seemed to move so quickly at times, I don't wish to stereotype people but most dwarves you meet are the hardworking, grafting kind, you don't see many dwarfs with a nice manicure but this lady was perfectly polished. Anyway, the same damn thing happened, I turned over the cards and I swear the joker turned in to a knave before my very eyes! Then, and this my dear diary is where it got even weirder, she up and left with all her winnings and I swear she met that same damn dog the guy gave money to yesterday! Anyway, I mentioned it to the boss, he thought I'd gone mad with tales of some mastermind canine sending in mind-controlled people to cheat the house but honestly - what else could it be! He’s got one of those enchanter types in and put these weird symbols and runes all over the place now to stop the punters using magic. 

I thought we'd always had those protections but it turns out the boss' nephew is a bit of an artist and just drew some fancy shapes around the doorway to put people off and he was too cheap to get an enchanter in for the real thing. 

I took the rest of the day off after that, the boss owed me one and gave me a 5 gold bonus for raising the issue. I think I'm going to take Bessie out for dinner tonight, it's about time I treated her and I heard that new place that opened up on the promenade does a really good steak dinner.