Whilst Berrick and Lotty are continuing their journey outside the city to reach the slums Null continues her journey inside of longhouse still being closely followed by the spectral horse, Null surmises the horse was probably once a beast but now an undead creature. Flynn, still in the jar Null is carrying, messages via his book that Null should steal the horse; Null explains it has a tattoo, XIX, and Flynn relays this to Lotty.
Null takes a potion of tongues and asks the horse "WTF?" whilst it seems to understand she doesn't get any response back. Null slips in to a room when she hears two guards approach, the horse follows as the guards walk past wondering where the large spectral beast disappeared to. Whilst Null keeps trying to communicate with the horse Mordecai pulls up a large screen inside the jar so he and Flynn can enjoy the show with some popcorn.
Outside the city Berrick receives a painful (literally) vision of Null lying dead in the snow before him, not wanting to waste any time Berrick polymorphs he and Lotty in to birds and they both fly as fast as they can to the longhouse.
Outside Calitrax's room Null notices ornate filigree carvings around the room, not unlike the ones around the necrostones. She's unable to ghost walk through the carvings but does manage to crawl under a gap at the bottom, finding herself inside the belly of the beast she at least has managed to ditch the horse.
First, Null finds what seems to be a servant's quarters, not much to see but Null does manage to pocket a book that accounts for garrison movements detailing movements of guards around the city.
Inside Calitrax's main room Null sees a table with books on the history of Zanidonia, maps and plans, lots of ornate jewellery and a decorative vanity unit with some seriously strong perfumes (being undead probably doesn't smell too good). Null is searching for what might be missing hoping for clues on Calitrax's phylactery; she does notice there is a masculine looking crown on the bedside with the feminine counterpart missing from the other side, could her crown be her phylactery?
Before there's time for any more snooping Null hears noises outside, still invisible she Rainbow Six's it up the chimney. The Ashen Rider walks in, seals the door behind him and declares "you can come out now" knowing that even being invisible wont hide her from the Rider's sight she floats down and hoovers in front of the rider.
Ashen Rider: "what are you doing here?"
Null: "I'm snooping - trying to overthrow an evil tyrant you know... what are you doing here?"
Serving my purpose
What purpose is that?
Why do you defy what you were made for?
I prefer to be free
No one is free
evidentially, I noticed the mark on your horses neck
I'm surprised you would come here alone
well, I'm pretty stupid - I'm surprised you would have secret meetings behind Calitax's back
who said I did, we all serve our father's will. I was told that you removed your brand
Yeah, I don't like the burden of an arcane yoke
and which yoke do you prefer, the one given by your mistress or these idealistic views of freedom?
I don't understand, why is it Azer or the alternative being something horrible, why is your belief staked on this one person? If he even is that anymore
Because he's the one that can grant me freedom
from what?
exitance
you want to die?
I can not. But once I have served my purpose I will be obliterated and can finally rest
that's hardly a reason to wreak havoc on the world
I think it's often wreaked without any reason at all
why do you think Azer is your only key to freedom when he is the one who gave you this yoke.
He bound me to this form long ago
Why, who were you?
I would not serve him in life so he bound me to serve in him death, we were on opposing sides during the schism
does he know you're here right now speaking to me?
of course, but this chamber does provide protection from divination but he would know I was following you
Well now's the time to discuss alternative options
can you offer me oblivion?
no but with Azer's death it will come to you
You believe you can kill Azer?
yes?